Thursday 6 September 2012

From beauty boxes to beauty storage.

I've been receiving GlossyBox for 4 months now & I still have each box! They are just way too pretty to chuck away & they make for easy storage. Previous to now I've just been using them as individual storage boxes & have kept them beneath my bed. However, this started to look a little cluttered.

Whilst looking through pictures on GB's Facebook page I came across some amazing creations people had made with the boxes they'd collected. This was perfect inspiration for me to make my own :) I went ahead &  made my very own GB drawers.

So, I'm going to attempt to explain how I made the drawers. I've included lots of pictures, so I hope you guys can get the jist! :D

Here are the tools I used -


  • 4 Glossy Boxes (you can use any beauty box, or something similar)
  • Super glue. (Mine is a cheap pack from Poundland, & it works just fine :)
  • Scissors
  • Craft Knife (not necessary, but easier to use then scissors)
  • Ribbon (I collected mine from received GlossyBoxes & She Said Beauty boxes)
  • I also used a stapler towards the end, but it isn't pictured
Here goes...


1. Take your first box & cut down each corner, until you reach the base. Fold down the sides & cut them off completely. The sides can be discarded & the base is used for the base of your drawers. 


2. Take 2 lids & cut the corners off only one long side on each lid. Again, fold down the side & cut it completely off. The 2 side pieces can be discarded & the 2 lids will make the sides of the drawers. 


3. Using your super glue attach the base from the 1st box to one of the shorter sides on one of the lids previously cut. Note: The cut side on the lid will be the side facing forward. 


4. Do the same with the other lid, making sure the cut end is facing the front. Be careful not to make this too snug, otherwise it'll be hard getting your draws in & out - I learnt this the hard way!


5. On a new lid cut down the corners & fold them flat.


6. Cut off completely the 2 shorter sides. The cut sections can be discarded & the rest will make the back of your drawers.


7. Compare the size of the remainder of the lid to the back of your drawers, cut off any overlapping the outside. I cut off the pink part of the long sides & discarded these. 


8. Super glue the remainder of the lid to the back of your drawers. 


9. For an open top to your drawers super glue your last lid to the top of your drawers. 



10. Using ribbon from the GlossyBox packaging I created little loops that can be used as pulleys on each drawer. I simply stapled together 2 ends of cut ribbon & super glued them to each drawer.


11. Voila, your drawers are now complete!


12. The only thing left is to decorate your drawers. I super glued a little bow to the top lid & also glued a lighter piece of ribbon to conceal the seam between the top lid & the rest of the drawers. You could get so creative on this part; using rhinestones, gems, paint, etc. 


I have placed mine on top of my clothing chest of drawers. It really fits in well with the rest of my room & I'm quite proud, haha. On top of the drawers I have placed items that I grab on a very regular basis - my tangle teezer, hair oil, Aussie heat spray, deodorant, moisturiser & my 2 current perfumes. 


In the drawers I have stored products that I'm currently using or trying out. Glossy boxes are quite deep so you can fit so much in them!

This little project was so quick & easy to make! & I'm glad I've found a way of recycling my Glossy boxes :) Let me know in the comments below if you've tried this out, or something similar. I'd love to have a look!

Jen xo

36 comments:

  1. OMG wow these look so cool :) x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so doing this at the weekend! At the moment I've got them all lined up in a drawer filled with my make up, hair stuff, perfumes etc but this looks much nicer and would give me my drawer back for clothes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, your poor clothes haha. You should definitely try this out :) xx

      Delete
  3. that is such a brilliant idea! i dont get GB but do have some other boxes i could do this with. so doing this :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do it with any boxes :) If you wrapped the boxes in pretty wrapping paper it'd look great! xx

      Delete
  4. such a great idea!! I use mine to store my nail polish but I might have to try this out!
    Beauty by T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a box I store my polish in too :) xx

      Delete
  5. Wow this is such an amazing idea, i'm defiantly going to do this!xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah this looks like a professional bit of furniture! Love it xx

    http://ellacatherine1.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! this looks like you went out and purchased it! I love fun diy projects that end with beautiful useful items which this clearly is. i dont get glossy box but I do have other items that are very similar so I look forward to trying this. will be a great rainy afternoon project! thanks! gigi. food and beauty blogger @ www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a bit of DIY too :) Especially when it's so pretty haha xx

      Delete
  8. Gotta love a DIY with something you already have! Happy New Follower...thru the Followers to Friends blog hop!

    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This Is actually amazing and such a creative idea! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhhhhhh!! Jen! This is so so cool! I absolutely love it! I wish I was subscribed to a beauty box so that I could get creative with these. I love the top too - how it has a bit of a ridge on the sides to keep stuff in!
    rach xxx
    rivasoave.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The top is my fave part, it's so cute :) You could always try & make your own with shoe boxes wrapped up or something! xx

      Delete
  11. Omg!! What a creative idea! Love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these boxes are so cute :) love them! x
    domandellie.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great idea! I have so many of these boxes kicking around

    gl0ssi.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great way of using them all up :) xx

      Delete
  14. This is such an amazing idea, I don't receive Glossy Box but if I did. I'd definitely be stealing this idea! X

    http://ourbeautyobsession.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a cute idea, I currently have them all piled up atm, but might give this a go since you made it look so easy! :)

    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic idea xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so so clever! Love your blog so much!!! http://blondebeautyfix.blogspot.co.uk/ x

    ReplyDelete
  18. How cooool, I never imagined turning them into a beauty storage, bright idea!
    xx
    http://cuteandwild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Had this book marked for a while now just waiting to make it, and I've just made it right now and it looks great!xx

    http://megangracey.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad it looks great :D It's so handy! xx

      Delete