Tuesday 10 July 2012

NOTD | Pink & Brown dots

This is my 1st design using dots, so it looks a little messy. But ya gotta start somewhere!

So I started off with a base coat to prevent any staining to my nails. Using OPIs over the taupe & Rimmels portobella pink I applied two coats of base colour. On my left hand I did pink on most nails, with taupe on my accent nail, & vice versa for my right hand. 





My pink polish is a little old now & has started to get a little gloopy, which makes it really difficult to apply a nice coat. So I added a couple drops of nail varnish remover that contains acetone, give it a good shake & voila! It isn't as good as new, but definitely easier to apply. 

I then painted the opposite colour onto each nail, covering half of the surface. For example... I painted over half of the pink nails with taupe. For the dots I filled down the pointed end of a wooden cuticle pusher. Creating a flat circular surface. The picture is a bit blurry, but you get the jist!


I then placed the brushes of the two polishes upside down, out side of their pots. Using the filled point I picked up polish from the brush & dotted it onto my nails (again using the opposite colour to the base colour). & that is pretty much it!


To finish of I applied a top coat of Sally Hansen's instra-dri. The design isn't amazing, but I'm trying to practice different techniques, with the use of different materials. You can tell by the pictures that I'm also practising getting the quality of my right hand the same as my left! Haha.



What do you think? :) Jen xox

10 comments:

  1. This looks good for a first attempt! I like the design:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a first attempt this is amazing!! I'm tempted to try it myself :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy, thank you :D I really want to get a dotting tool, so hopefully it will look a little neater then. You should definitely give it a go :) xx

      Delete
  3. Very cute :)
    http://georgiabeee.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks lovely :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun look!!!!
    I've always loved pink and brown!

    ReplyDelete